Working almost-full time can be quite difficult while raising two boys. Thankfully I work in a job & profession that allows me the flexibility of having Fridays off to spend with them. And although not every Friday goes smoothly, it still is great to watch these guys grow up. It's been even more fun lately now that they can interact with each other. Parker absolutely adores Dylan and watches his every move.
Dylan is growing up so fast too. It really amazes me the change I've seen in him the past few months.
Parker is active as can be... sitting, crawling, and pulling everything down from the toy shelves! He is very observant and is intent on getting into anything he's not supposed to. ;) Here is is going after my flip flops!
I am very thankful to have the opportunity to spend with my boys and watch them grow and mature. I think the decision for whether or not moms/dads should work while raising children is an issue in almost every household with little kids. For some people, they may not get to choose their preference because of financial or other personal reasons. I know people in almost every boat: some want to work but cant/some cant afford daycare so have to stay home/some want to stay home but need to work to pay bills/etc.... the list goes on and on. Additionally, I know some people feel strongly stay-at-home moms give the best care and on the flip-side, some people feel strongly about the benefits of daycare. However, I don't think there is a "right" answer for every family -- or for every child, for that matter. Regardless of all of that, we are blessed to have some options available to us (at least in some fashion). And although it may not be the perfect and ideal setup on all accounts (but is there ever one???), we feel it works well for our family. We've made the decision for both of us to work, and I have Fridays off. I cut back my hours slightly, but am still considered full-time. Knowing how I operate, I feel I am a better mom to my boys & a better wife to Matt by working. I absolutely love what I do and I feel like it keeps my mind active & engaged, and in return I'm rejuvenated for my family. However, there are days that it is tough/tiring/exhausting and there are times that I wish I worked a little less, but there aren't perfect options available. The cost of daycare is high and the need to cover those costs requires me to work certain hours to make it worthwhile, and the staffing available at my clinic doesn't give me perfect hours either. So the boys go to daycare 4 days a week and are home with me on Fridays. We LOVE our daycare provider. We are so lucky we found her. I trust her 100% with my kids. She has so much experience and seems to have an answer in every situation. She's like the Baby Whisperer! Dylan has very good manners -- "please", "thank you", "may I have XXX", "yes ma'am". He puts away his toys, eats most foods, helps clean around the house, and is learning so much!! Parker is now on a great schedule for sleeping, he's active and engaged, and growing up beautifully right before our eyes. We have her to thank for all of that!! Don't misinterpret what I'm saying though -- our kids are definitely not perfect -- we still have plenty of "moments". Dylan has his typical 2-yr old "fun" stuff happening, and Parker thinks he's going to die of starvation if he isn't fed within 10 seconds of realizing he's hungry. :)
We have good days & bad days, ups & downs, moments of peace and times of chaos.... overall though, we think we're doing alright. :)
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment